"To be and to become such may at times require a sacrifice of time, pleasures and comforts." This exert from the FarmHouse Fraternity Object is an interesting statement. If nothing else, it invokes the thought that we just may have to sacrifice something from time to time to get where we want to go--or better yet, where God is urging us to go.
Think with me for a moment and ask yourself the question, "When was the last time that I did something that 'require(ed) a sacrifice of time, pleasure and comfort?'
I quickly think of college. Students, myself included, study hours on end to finish just one homework assignment that is worth a minuscule amount of their final grade. Their own nature is telling them to go out, have some fun, but they make the choice to stay in. This choice is made with the hope that, by doing the work, they, in the end, will have a better tomorrow for their sacrifice of ' time, pleasure and comfort.' Yet, this choice is made with very little solid evidence. These students are acting on faith.
Many think that faith is only a religious thing. It is only something that feeble-minded people use to heal their insecurities. I propose to you a very different thought.
If Merriam-Webster defines faith as a “firm belief in something for which there is no proof”, just as the student is doing in his or her studies, I dear to say everyone on this earth has faith. The real question is faith in what.
I could spend many hours here, typing away on tangents about people’s faith in various objects, thoughts or ideas. In the end, what really matters is not what I have to say, but what thoughts that I may encourage your mind to develop.
With that, the challenge of the day is two-fold.
What is it that you have faith in? Why? You many find the former easier to answer than the latter. I, again, encourage you to take a moment and jot down your thoughts on the two aforementioned questions.
It is only fitting to end with a saying from one of my greatest professors. “Do you really believe that what you believe is really real?
Soli Deo Gloria!
Happy thinking!
No comments:
Post a Comment